Monday, September 15, 2008
Categories
I believe that categories exist in our society for better or worse. Categories help us organize information and people may see it as stereotyping but it helps us regardless. I think though it is easy to turn those categories into stereotypes. An example is that if your African American your more likely to live in poverty than a white man. That is a category but it turns into a stereotype when you see an African American and you assume the must live in poverty. So when looking at categories we have to be careful not to change them to stereotypes. We can do this by keeping an open mind when viewing categories and not judging them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Dave - I think you are right - you've got the idea of the Charon reading. Now can you expand on it? How does this apply to your life? I want you to use the blog to apply it to your life.
Post a Comment